4/14/2015

Witless Whining and Willful Wanderlust

Hello all!

Once again we find ourselves on opposite ends of the screen from one another.  I hope that you are excited to have a read through this post - last one was over a month ago.  This one should be fairly straight forward.

Several new items have been added to the board game collection:  Robo Rally, Smash Up, Game of Thrones, and Fantasy Flight's Star Wars Armada.  Very excited to give all of those a go, or continuing to play them in the case of Robo Rally and Smash Up.

Robo Rally is a chaotic racing game where you program your robot from a random deck of movement cards as quickly as you can in order to touch flags - in ascending order - before any other player can.  It is extremely fun, even though it can bog down as players are all spinning in circles.  Random board elements and the fact that everyone can shoot at each other help increase the pace of the game, but there is a sense that some of the turns are a waste as you watch robots aimlessly mill about until someone can take a pot shot or push someone off of the board and into oblivion.  Overall, I think that this game deserves a solid B, as it has plenty of replay-ability, but can bog down mid game.


Smash Up is an excellent game of complete ridiculousness.  It is a great way to unwind and throw some cards around with your buddies.  It uses the concept of taking two decks of common creatures from movies or books, and shuffling them together to get a deck.  Then you use your deck to destroy bases and earn points.  Sounds simple, but when you have wizards and zombies playing against martians and dinosaurs with lasers, things tend to get complicated.  Throw in some of the expansions and before you know it you have kittens and vampires taking over the world from goblins and pirates allied with robots and unicorns.  This is my go to when it comes to filler games now - and it works great as a conversation starter for those that aren't entirely inclined to play board games usually.  I give this an A, and the only reason it doesn't get an A+ is the fact that some of the combos of decks are so outrageously good that if someone gets them they are pretty much a guaranteed step ahead of everyone else.


On the actual tabletop front, what have I managed to complete?  Mostly just some games of Malifaux and painting some Malifaux figures.  Nothing too fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but fun nonetheless.  I painted up a pair of Stitched Together and 3 more wicked dolls for my Collodi Crew, as well as primed and started to block out colors on Sue, the Viktorias Hired Swords crew box, 3 more Ronin, and Vanesa.  

Stitched Together number 1

Stitched Together number 2

Wicked Dolls for scheme running and poison dropping

Sue, Walking the Line between painted and non 
Vikis in early stages of painting


I have yet to finish painting Bishop, Zoraida, Hodgepodge effigy, or Brutal Effigy.  After those models have all been completed, it will be time to build and paint my Tara crew with Death Marshals.  Which means that it is almost time to start looking at some new crews to add to the mix.  I am really enjoying my Neverborn, and my Collodi in particular.  I plan on playing him until I am really good with Collodi, so that I can be ready for the plastic release - which I may or may not get.  The options for the next crews to get purchased are Jacob Lynch - the illuminated and the card mechanics are just awesome, Pandora for her awesome looking models, Von Schill as an Outcast with the mustache and lots of stuff that I can use in multiple crews, or waiting until some of the Gremlins come out that I am really interested in - Wong or Mah Tucket.  It will most likely be either Jacob Lynch and some Beckoners or waiting for Wong/Mah.  I cannot wait to get my grubby mitts on a Wong crew box.  He is an amazing looking model that I want to have some amazing games with.

Anyway, thats about all I have this time.  I will update after I get some photo evidence of games being played.  Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment