4/28/2015

The Voices in my Head

Hello all,

Hope that you are doing well.  Today’s post is going to be slightly scatter brained, as I feel like I just need to get some thoughts out of my head regarding some of the Malifaux purchases I would like to make.  I’d like to hear how you all collect miniatures, or the thought process that you go through when it comes to selecting what you will enjoy playing in your games.

For me, I like to focus on one or two groups of models at a time.  As it corresponds to Malifaux: Neverborn and Outcasts on a general level, but on a realistic level I am focusing on Collodi and Zoraida.  I have nearly all of the models that I want to collect for Collodi at this point – until plastic Coryphee come out I have settled on proxies based on mannequin conversions tacked to 40mm bases.  For Zoraida, she has such a large selection of models at her disposal that it makes it hard to pick a direction to head. 

I have her crew box, which includes 3 Silurid, Bad Juju, and the voodoo doll totem that she summons.  I have the bases to make 3 Gupps bases.  I like to use Mr. Tannen and Mr. Graves with her at points, but they aren’t the most synergetic choices.  Which leads me to my issue.  I want to collect Spawn Mother, McTavish, some of the LaCroix, pigs, and possibly Lenny.  I would like to have all of these so that I can use her with Neverborn – which I have decided would be best to have Iggy and Pere Ravage lighting things up while Juju (or Spawn Mother) go up the board with Gupps accompanied by Raphael LaCroix.  Or something along those lines.  This makes it sound like I should go ahead and grab The Kin box plus Spawn Mother to make this list happen. 

However, the other option I have is to grab some of the mercenary Gremlins – Burt and Gracie come to mind – with Spawn Mother, and throw them into a list together with Zoraida. 
The other idea I have swirling around my head is that I should grab the Jacob Lynch crew.  I am a completest and a collector of things, and while Lynch is not the most exciting crew to me Illuminated are awesome, and I already own every single other model that deals with Brilliance.  Why not go ahead and make the dive to pick up another master that I can throw in people’s faces from Neverborn while completing all of the Brilliance models?  Seems like a reasonable thing to me. 

This is the enigma that I run into – grab a Gremlin box plus Spawn Mother, voyage out and grab Spawn Mother, Burt, and Gracie (who I will get anyway at some point to go with Wong), or get down and dirty snorting all of the Brilliance and throwing down with Lynch?  All of the models are fantastic, so there is not a wrong way to go.  I know what the correct answer for this whole post is:  Buy all of it.  To hell with restraint and clear thinking, and literally buy all of The Kin, Dark Debts, Spawn Mother, Gracie, and Burt.  That way all of my bases are covered and I have all of the toys, right?

Wrong.  I have been so good about painting my models before greedily rushing to grab new ones that I really don’t want to wreck all of my chances at not having a huge pile of models to work on all the time.  I have Teddy, Ama No Zako, Lazarus, (2) Beckoners, Iggy, (3) Depleted, Brutal Effigy, and a Doppelganger on the painting plate right now.  When I finish painting all of these, it will be extremely likely that I want to paint something that doesn’t have the color purple anywhere on it – which would most likely lead me away from the Dark Debts box, but if I pick that up there are only 5 models that need painting, and they will be the final pieces to the Brilliant collection.


Anywho, short post today.  Just needed to get all of this out of my head.  I’ll post updates as painting comes along – until then, happy gaming everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment