4/29/2015

Painting and Plugs - the Shameless kind

Hello all,

We’re on a roll with this posting once a day thing now, aren’t we?  Glad that I finally have a bit of a rhythm going now.  I’ve also had a bit of a rhythm going on my painting side of the hobby.  I have a lovely chart full of things that looks like chaos personified, but really it is a catalog of all the Malifaux models I own, want to own, have to build, WIP painting, and completed painting.

As you can see, I have quite a few projects in the works, as well as more than enough on my wish list to give me hobby euphoria.  I would like to share with you a few pictures of some of the models I have managed to get through in the month of April – seeing as the month is just about up, and that I will not have any painting time for the remainder of the month.  Tonight is Malifaux night at the FLGS, and I have to get ready for faces to be smashed (whether it is mine or my opponents is TBD). 


Some scheme markers all painted up
Scrap markers for Collodi Crew 
Zoraida finally painted in full











This video shows off Teddy after I completed him in the wee hours of the morning last night.

Aside from painting a load of models and getting a few games in tonight, I have to shamelessly plug some good podcasts to listen to while you paint, drive, or whatever else normal sane people do.
First up, we have Before We Begin.  This is a great podcast that seems to deal mostly with Vassal games of Malifaux (which is a great way to test out new lists, play games when you can’t get to the store, or play against friends that you no longer live near – I highly recommend giving it a shot, although you might want to have two monitors to run it easiest).  What the fine gentlemen at Before We Begin do, is they take two people who are going to play a game and do an entire show for each of them individually in how they select a crew to play with before they play a game – going through all of the information and the thought process that went into how they play with those models.  It is an interesting way to really analyze how people think about the game from a strategic point of view, and is something that everyone should strive to copy – or at least tweak to their personal preferences.  I find that I am thinking about the game in a new way after listening to the players go through their lists in a detailed way.  If you are new to the game, it might be a little overwhelming, but if you have an idea about how to play the game, then you should definitely give it a listen!

Malifaux’s Most Wanted.  This is a podcast that is geared more towards beginngers – at the moment anyway.  They take two plastic starter boxes, fill them out to 50SS, and then have a game with them.  Then they rate the masters and the boxes based on several categories that they have come up with, giving the listeners a general idea on how they might like to play these crews.  They are an explicit channel, but my god they are some funny bastards.  You should absolutely give these guys a listen – a warning though:  it will make you want to go out and buy a dozen more crews that you don’t already own (Lucius is a prime example of this for me, ever since listening to their show he is on the short list of masters to pick up).  Two thumbs way up.

Some products that you might want to go ahead and check out as well:

-          Mats by Mars:  3’x3’ playing mats with the deployment zones and centerlines for Malifaux clearly marked with faded lines, for dirt cheap.

-          Widget Wizards:  a good selection of wrap around effect and status markers, by faction.  Very neat little gubbins to add to your collection, as you can never have too many bits and bobs for Malifaux it seems.

Those are just some general little places that I am liking right now.  If you have anymore that you would like me to feature, put them in the comments below and I can make a page for it.


For game night tonight, it is in the cards that I am going to try and bring Teddy in at least one game.  Hopefully I will have time to get two games in, so that I can try out some other combinations of toys to play with for Collodi.  I will of course post tomorrow and let all of my readers know the results of the games.  Until then, happy gaming everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment