9/12/2013

Weekly Update #3

Hey All!  (little late)

So this week has been slightly crazy - I apologize for not getting on here sooner.

This week has been an interesting couple days full of tabletop so far.  I have a few new goodies that will be here tomorrow for my Shroud Mages - a pair of Mk I Heavy Cruisers - that are awesome looking sculpts - and a Beacon class platform... it floats and does magic.  What more could I possibly desire?

Oh right, the Flagship... and more cruisers, destroyers, flyers, etc etc....  But thats not going to happen anytime soon.

In other news, I found the first tabletop enthusiast in my area.  Taught him some Uncharted Seas, were thinking about trying to get a Dreadball club started up with the university.  Will keep you updated on how that goes.

Other than that it has been pretty hobby sparse here.  New Marines came out, and I imagine we will be seeing a lot more bike heavy lists, as well as tank heavy lists.  That's just my two cents.

This weekend we are headed back over to Treefort Games to get some Uncharted Seas in and maybe a game of Firestorm, not sure.  Probably make one last purchase - the store does have a Shroud Mages flagship in stock that looks awesome.  But here are some pictures from the week:


As you can see, got some nice additions painted up for the fleet:  a pair of Darkness Cruisers.  Hopefully they will do awesome at the store this weekend, so that I can justify their somewhat crazy points cost.  But I am looking forward to using them even if they don't pull their own weight; they are just pretty models.



















In other news, I did find a game that I would love to try.  It might be my first foray into the deeply unknown niche games of Europe....

AERONEF

A game published by a small company called Wessex Games.  It is a Victorian Scifi aerial combat game, involving models created by Brigade Models.  It uses 1/1200th scale ships to maneuver about the table and blast each other with their naval guns.  It is a similar concept to Spartan Games Dystopian Wars, but it is completely centered around aerial combat, and the models aren't quite as nice as Spartan's, but they are pretty for what they are.

Starter kits are about $50 and come with enough for two aerial flotillas.  Rules are based around ship size classes and the use of hex style bases to help with flight.  Games are designed to be teachable in 10 minutes and able to finish in under 3 hours, while using large numbers of models per side (half dozen +)

I am tempted to try this game out, seeing as I have a group that would be willing to try something like this out now.  Plus I really like some of the models - even if they might seem less than tabletop compared to a game like Dystopian Wars.  For a small game that is very niche the models are excellent. The rules are challenging and look like they would provide for some interesting scenarios.  Plus $50 for a two player starter box is fairly reasonable.  About on par with everything else.  Here are some photos for you to judge yourselves:





These are all examples taken from the awesome blog http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/  

I highly recommend it if you'd like to take a peak at some inspiring scratch builds, like most of those pictures I have borrowed from his site just now.  

Finally - just for some kicks and drool fests - here is a photo battlereport of Aeronef:


Anyway, enough rambling for tonight.  The short story for this whole post is that I painted up some more Shroud Mages, have some more coming in tomorrow, am going to play a few games Sunday so there will be battle reports and pictures galore hopefully.  Then theres Aeronef which looks really cool when it is all painted up and nice looking.  And then Gentleman Tony with his awesome blog and awesome scratch built models and table.  So, thats it for me, until next time Tarum et clama dimit belli canes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment