9/15/2015

Over the Misty Mountains Cold....


Hello all, Sinscaptain here.  Today I'm here to give you the cliff's notes to where I've been the past two months, and what you can expect going forward with this blog.

Past Two Months

  • 5 Games of Malifaux (1 W - 4 L)
  • Nythera Global Campaign began for Wyrd and Malifaux.  I am participating under the Neverborn Flag.  Not doing so hot so far in my games - see above.
  • No painting has occurred.
  • I have build a few models here and there, nothing of real note.
  • Malifaux collection has expanded to:
    • Neverborn - Collodi, Zoraida, Dreamer
    • Gremlins - Zoraida, Ophelia, Brewmaster, Ulix
    • Ten Thunders - Brewmaster, Misaki, (Yan Lo)
    • Guild - Lady J, McMourning*
    • Ressers - McMourning*, (Yan Lo)
    • (Yan Lo) - he is being professionally painted at the moment
    • McMourning* - the old metal crew box
  • Picked up playing the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, mainly the Force and Destiny component of the game, with a couple of buddies in the area.
As you can see, not much too crazy.  I have mostly been out of the wargaming scene due to a combination of lack of opponents, lack of motivation to paint, assemble, or even play games, and general fatigue.  This does not mean that I am out of the hobby.  Quite the contrary!  I am still loving the fluff of the Malifaux world, eagerly building lists and Theory-crafting characters, crews, and army lists for all of the games that I play.  I am trying my hand at writing some short stories to go with my interests in the various systems that I play in, and keeping up to date with all of the new information coming out for my favorite games.

What's the problem then?  Well, as a whole, I am suffering from severe hobby wobble and general overload for how much stuff I have on my plate with hobby and things outside of hobby, as well as the age old excuse of "my wallet is telling me no more hobby for a good amount of time."

So, in order to downgrade some of my hobby wobble and make sure that I am focusing down on the hobbies that I most enjoy, I will begin a purge sometime this week - mostly Spartan Games (Firestorm Armada and Uncharted Seas), Warhammer Fantasy Armies that I was in the beginning stages of getting started before all of the changes were made with the Age of Sigmar, and various other games.  I will most likely be trading out a good portion of my Chaos Space Marines for Orks, and the Skaven collection will - while not getting pared down - will see transitioning to full moth ball mode.


I hope my Skaven can one day come out to play again, avoiding the above fate.  However, the general interest in Fantasy has hit an all time low for the player base around me and, frankly, for myself.    The space cleared in some of these cases from selling out of a couple of game systems will hopefully allow me to better store my Malifaux collection and allow me to - eventually - expand into new games or to better organize and complete a collection of some of my older games.

If you have made it this far, I congratulate you.  My pity party of a post is not the most interesting read in the world, but I really need to get it on to paper, erm... internet paper so that I can have hard evidence.  I am lost in the hobby right now, when it feels like I should be in the hobby prime!

I have been extremely excited to get on the table with the Malifaux Nythera campaign going, but I have been sorely disappointed by my own play in it.  I was absolutely thrilled that Warhammer Fantasy was getting an update and starting to move forward with the End Times, but I just can't seem to get into the grove of Age of Sigmar.  Warhammer 40k has, for all intents and purposes, been out of mind for almost 2 years now.  X-Wing gets entirely too competitive for my tastes, and Star Wars Armada - which I was REALLY excited for - has completely flopped in my area.  Some other games are starting to take off, such as Frostgrave and Guildball, but I have a feeling that they too will fade in time and lose their player base.

I have even considered going out and grabbing some Warmahordes models - something that I thought I would never go back to.  The community seems fairly stable though, no matter where you go.

And so that brings me to this place - the Hobby Crossroads.  I don't know what is going to happen, but something is going to change soon.  I cannot keep up this hobby purgatory. With that in mind, I'd like to apologize if this blog becomes dark for long periods of time again in the near future.  I wish I had more to share here, but besides a few games here and there that have no photo evidence, I have nothing to show for the time invested.  So, until next time dear readers, I bid ado.  Happy painting, building, gaming, and most of all Hobbying!

- Sinscaptain

1 comment:

  1. At hobby crossroads, I find its best to do exactly what you are doing. Trim, and especially get things off your bench. Looking at a sea of projects can dishearten anyone...but limiting it to one or two things can help get the mojo back!

    Extra points for getting more orks :)

    ReplyDelete