2/13/2014

Eating Crow

Hey All!

So, today I have to take some time to eat crow and smile the entire time.  I have been a bad sport about a certain games system.  Anyone who has read it can probably already name it.

Warhammer 40k.

I have ranted about that game too many times to count on this page.  I am taking the time today to fully recant anything I have said about the game.  I don't hate it.  It's pretty fun if you play it with the right people.  So, let me just post up here what I like and don't like.  Just to clear up the air and make sure that I am not considered a "hater" on 40k:

LIKES

  • The IP: it is absolutely fantastic
  • Fun lists
  • Collecting and painting nicely themed lists
  • Coming up with backstory
  • Playing the game with the rules, but not letting them detract from the fun
  • Forgeworld
  • Dataslates and stuffs
  • ALL of the armies
Sounds like I enjoy everything pretty much yeah?

DISLIKES
  • Metagamers:  I hate playing people that run the meta.  I refuse to play against it.  It really just sucks all of the fun and excitement out of the game for me.
  • Non-optional rules*:  Allies.  Escalation.  Stronghold Assault.  These are the things that metagamers take advantage of to remove all fun from the game.  They min-max everything and then think they are some kind of Napoleon for running the same list everyone else runs. 
  • The price point:  I love the game.  They make OUTSTANDING models.  But come on guys.  You shouldn't have to spend this much to get into the game.  Even just a little cut in prices would be nice.
  • Unbalanced Codexes:  I think that every army should be just as viable to play.  If you think they are all balance, look at Sisters of Battle, then look at Eldar.  What were you saying?
That is pretty much it.  I am blessed to have a group that doesn't power game.  We have one guy who plays Tau who refuses to do anything to crazy, and a gentleman who plays with Eldar who is our closest thing to a metagamer with war walker spam and a wraithknight.  But he's still pretty cool about it.  He doesn't run seer stars or Dark Eldar allies to get 2++ rerollables.  

Anywho, this is me apologizing.  I don't hate 40k.  I just hate the people that make the game irritating for the rest of us.

* as a side note on the non-optional rules:  I love the new stuff they are constantly putting in for that.  I think the giant stuff is really cool and all of the models are gorgeous (EXCEPT YOU SKULL TRANSFORMER) I just really think they should be optional, so that you have to agree before hand to play with those rules, so that you don't surprise anyone when you put your fortress of Redemption on the table.

Thats all I got for now.  Happy wargaming!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you whole-heartedly. My poor Sisters....I really do wish they would have made Escalation and Stronghold *legally* optional.

    P.S. - Hater. :)

    ReplyDelete